With the exponential growth in technology, enterprise resource planning (ERP) software solutions have become accessible and affordable for even small and mid-size companies. Businesses considering such an investment, however, must remember that while the financial commitment is less than it’s ever been, it’s also a time and resources commitment, so it is crucial to consider the software selection process with utmost seriousness.
Some ERP software vendors represent their ERPs as applications that are well suited for every environment. For discrete manufacturing companies, however, that is a red flag: not all ERP systems are optimized for discrete manufacturing, and those that are will give you much better functionality.
Therefore, the first thing you need do is limit your search to the vendors whose software is designed with discrete manufacturing in mind. After that, there are some key points and best practices that will help you narrow the scope to a limited set of potential providers:
Key points and best practices include:
- Functionality – can the system perform all your “must have” processes?
- Quality – does the vendor offer a quality product? Don’t be afraid to ask for references.
- Scalability – the software handles 20 users now, but will it be able to handle 30, 50, 100 when you need it to?
- Ease of use – can your employees use the software after adequate training? If it’s too complicated, it won’t be used to its full potential.
- Support – does the vendor offer support during the discrete manufacturing software implementation if you want it? And even if you don’t, do they support their product in the long term? Do not assume that you won’t need tech support one day, because you will.
Narrowing the Scope and Making a Decision
When considering a decision of this magnitude, seeking the guidance of an outside consultant is worthwhile. They are skilled at documenting and prioritizing tasks, they have technical expertise, and they have practical experience with ERP system implementations.
At Southeast Computer Solutions, our consultants have the business experience and technical knowledge to guide you through the process of an ERP implementation. We can provide solutions to enhance your business performance while increasing efficiency and reducing costs – contact us to learn how we can benefit your company.
About Southeast Computer Solutions
Southeast Computer Solutions is based in Miami, Florida, and has additional operations in Mexico. For over 30 years, we have positively impacted the success of small and mid-sized businesses with effective business management implementations that improve our clients’ operations. We listen, we are accessible, and we care. Learn more by visiting our website or calling 305-556-4697.